Licenses & Permits
As part of our response to the spread of COVID-19, we have implemented the following changes to our building permit and inspection process.
Residential Building Inspections
Building inspections that take place inside a residence have been suspended until further notice. This includes water heaters, furnaces and interior work. We will continue inspections on residential permits for exterior improvements such as roofs, siding and decks. This will continue through April 17 and is subject to change.
Commercial inspections will continue for unoccupied structures and spaces (new building and tenant remodels). This will be in effect through April 17 and is subject to change.
Permits that require access into an occupied home will not be scheduled for an inspection until further notice.
Permits that do not require a plan review (i.e. furnace, water heater, AC, water softener) can be secured and paid for through the Inver Grove Heights online portal.
Permits for lower lever finishes and remodels that require a plan review should be submitted through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inspection staff is available by phone at 651-450-2550 for consultations during this time, or via e-mail at email@example.com.
We know the situation presented by the COVID-19 virus will present further challenges as the situation changes, and we remain committed to communicating the changes with you as quickly as possible. For the most up-to-date information regarding the City’s response to COVID-19 please visit www.invergroveheights.org/COVID-19. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
A city license is required for contractors performing the following types of work:
- General Commercial
- General Residential (over four units)
The City requires permits and licenses for various building-related activities that occur within the City. Below is a list of building-related activities that require a permit.
- Basement Finish
- Egress Windows
- Inspection Requirements - Checklist
- Manufactured Housing Installation Requirements
- Multi-Family & Commercial Permits and Fees
- Pools / Spas / Hot Tubs
- Retaining Wall
- Single Family Homes
- Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems Code Information Packet
- Windows and Doors
All City Licenses require the completed Certificate of Insurance form accompanied by the license and fee.
Select any of the following applications to complete and return with the required information and fee.
Note: Any permit requiring plan review should be submitted in person or by mail at this time. Permit applications that do not require plan review should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Building Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Electric Permit Application
- Plumbing and Utility Permit Application
- Miscellaneous Permit Application
- Commercial Hood and Ventilation Cleaning Permit Application
- Manufactured Home Installation Permit Application
Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems Forms & Permit Applications
- Sewage Treatment System Permit Application and Instructions
- Capacity Compliance Inspection Form and Instructions
- Variance Application and Instructions
- SSTS Abandonment Reporting Form