YourGov - Report a Problem


The City of Inver Grove Heights has launched YourGOV by Cartegraph. YourGOV allows community members to easily report non-emergency issues and service requests via the web or directly from their smart phone. Citizens are able to submit requests about ditch repairs, drainage issues, dumped debris, graffiti, hydrant repairs, illegal dumping, illicit discharge, park and playground maintenance, rain garden maintenance, road kill removal, sewer maintenance, sign repairs, sign suggestions, street light and traffic signal maintenance, tree maintenance, and more. The YourGOV application on your smart phone allows you to take a picture of your request and allows you to share the location of the request.

The YourGOV application is free of charge and is available immediately for iOS and Android devices. YourGOV is also available at if the citizen prefers to use their computer to make requests.

YourGOV will make it easier for citizens to submit service requests and will help create a workflow that will ensure that the request gets completed in the most efficient way possible. When the work is resolved and completed the citizen will receive a follow up email, provided that they were signed in to YourGOV when they made the request.

The decision to add YourGOV was prompted by our goals to better engage the public in our operations, improve customer service, and respond faster to community issues and service requests. The application has a simple interface and the ability to communicate directly with our Cartegraph operations management system. We are confident that we will accomplish these goals and more.

If you’re interested in learning more about the capabilities and features of YourGOV, just visit:

Get Started

Download the YourGov App to Your Phone
You can submit issues on the go with the YourGov application for iOS and Android. It is free and easy. Visit your App store today to download the App!

Steps to Report an Issue
1.Click Sign Up to report an issue and track the progress through completion.
2.Type an address in the Search for a location text box, be sure to click the + sign to open the Report an Issue form.
3.View the map to ensure the orange circle marks the location of the issue, if needed drag the circle to the correct location.
4.Verify the address on the Report an Issue form. Be specific as possible to assist us in locating your issue.
5.Select an issue type from the drop down list.
6.Write a detailed description of the problem. This is important to ensure your issue is addressed promptly.
7.Optionally, you may add an image of the issue in the form of a .jpeg. Click the Browse for an image file at the top of the form.
8.After filling out the form with as much detail as possible, click Submit.
9.Your issue will be automatically submitted to the appropriate City department.

Tracking Your Issue

1.For best results create an account by clicking Sign Up. Those who have an account can track the response to their issues and can also be contacted for more information when necessary to complete the request.
2.If you have signed in, you can view your issues under the My Issues tab and you will receive an email notification when an issue has been addressed.

Emergency Public Works related issues during work hours of 7:00am-3:30pm call 651-450-4309.

After work hours, call dispatch at 651-322-2323