Learn to Skate
Important Safety Guidelines during reopening Phase 1 (Begins July 6, 2020)
The LEARN TO SKATE PROGRAM WILL NOT BE OFFERED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Based on current capacity and social distancing guidelines:
- OPEN SKATE and OPEN HOCKEY WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE
The following facilities are available for rentals with capacity restrictions:
Learn to Skate: Off-ice Challenges
We might not be able to be on the ice right now...but that doesn’t mean we can’t practice and prepare those skills from home. We’ve been inspired by our Partner Learn to Skate USA who has created several off-ice challenges over the past few weeks to help members stay active.
Our very own Learn to Skate Instructor Melissa took on a couple of these challenges. You’ll see her demonstrating four figure skating poses and two skating exercises - take a look:
Can you match Melissa? Want to try more? Cool...we are sharing each challenge from Learn to Skate USA with you today! Each one can be completed via a printable PDF!
- Off-Ice Challenge: Create the Ultimate Workout Bracket: https://medium.com/learn-to-skate-usa/2020-march-skating-madness-put-your-skills-to-the-test-12289c5a18b4
- Take the Fit-25 Bingo Challenge: https://medium.com/learn-to-skate-usa/take-the-fit-25-bingo-challenge-bcf03ccaf8d7
- Name Drop: Challenge Your Friends to an Off-Ice Workout: https://medium.com/learn-to-skate-usa/name-drop-challenge-your-friends-to-an-off-ice-workout-50ae1a361b4c
- Sweat and Stretch: Improve Your Flexibility: https://medium.com/learn-to-skate-usa/sweat-and-stretch-improve-your-flexibility-e26982bcc7ff
- The complete set of challenges they’ve creted thus far can be found here: https://medium.com/learn-to-skate-usa/get-moving-for-national-fitness-month-d0e7626fcf6b
What are you excited to try first? No matter what you do, we hope you have fun! Take Care.
Learn to Skate Curriculum
Our learn to skate program is committed to fostering the development of every skater. We provide a variety of programs which teach the fundamentals of skating to all ages and abilities.
We are offer classes for every level and style from beginners to hockey players to figure skaters. And for all ages!
Classes consist of a 30 minute group lesson, along with 30 minutes of practice time. The fee includes four open skate passes for the participant to use during public open skate times.
The next sessions begin June 9. You can view our current sessions and register online to reserve your spot.
Layered clothing works best with gloves. We do not recommend snowsuits, heavy gear or jeans as they hinder the skater’s movement. It is highly recommended that skaters ages 6 and under wear a helmet.
Skates should fit snug and have ample ankle support. Tie the skates tight beginning at the toe box. Double runners are not allowed. We recommend starting in a figure skate. Tots 1 - 4 should start in figure skates; hockey skates are more difficult for beginning skaters until they have mastered some skills at which point they can switch to hockey skates.
Spring Ice Show
Enjoy watching students of the Learn to Skate program and Inver Grove Heights skate competitors dazzle you on the ice with a themed ice show!
Due to COVID-19 the Spring 2020 Ice show was CANCELLED. Details for the Spring 2021 Ice Show will come out in the Fall 2020 brochure in early August.