How to Vote Absentee
Absentee voting means voting by mail or in person before Election Day, instead of at the polling place. Absentee ballots are processed 46 days before an election. Beginning with the Primary Election in August any eligible voter in Minnesota may choose to vote by absentee ballot for any reason.
When absentee voting is being conducted at Inver Grove Heights City Hall, no campaigning (campaign buttons, signs or clothing) is allowed in the building or within 100 feet. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
Requesting an Absentee Ballot
- You can request, receive and cast an absentee ballot in one visit to Inver Grove Heights City Hall (8150 Barbara Ave.).
- You can request an absentee ballot online through the Minnesota Secretary of State
- You can also mail, fax, or email an absentee ballot application to the City Clerk at:
- Mail: Inver Grove Heights City Hall - 8150 Barbara Avenue Inver Grove Heights, MN 55077
- Fax: 651-450-2502
- Email: email@example.com
Read the privacy disclaimer about absentee ballot application data.
- Not Pre-Registered? You can apply for an absentee ballot and you will receive voter registration materials with your ballot.
Returning an Absentee Ballot
Once you receive your ballot in the mail, follow the instructions carefully. Voters need to have a notary or a registered Minnesota voter sign their envelope as a witness. The notary can be from any state. To return their absentee ballot, you can:
- Mail it in the prepaid envelope that came with the ballot. The ballot must arrive back on or before Election Day. Postmark dates do not matter, only the date the ballot arrives. If you are concerned that your ballot will not arrive in time by U.S. Mail, you may pay for package delivery service.
- Drop it off in person to the election office that provided the absentee ballot. Election offices accept absentee ballots in person until 5 p.m. the day before Election Day.
- Absentee ballots hand-delivered by an agent of the voter (a commercial delivery service or any individual other than the voter) must be received by the city or county election office by 3 p.m. on Election Day.
- On Election Day, voters may go to the polls to vote, but CANNOT deliver their own absentee ballots to any election officials.
- Absentee ballots CANNOT be delivered directly to a polling place.
Make a Mistake Marking Your Absentee Ballot?
If you make a mistake when filling out your ballot, request a new ballot from the City of Inver Grove Heights. Contact information is listed above. If it is too close to the election to request a new ballot, completely cross out the name of the candidate you accidentally marked and then mark your ballot for the candidate you prefer. Do not initial your corrections.
Track Your Absentee Ballot
You can track the progress of your absentee ballot with the absentee ballot lookup tool at mnvotes.org If there is a problem with your ballot, election officials will send a replacement.
Absentee Voting in Inver Grove Heights Video
Check out this Absentee Voting Video