Licenses and Permits
The City Clerk is responsible for overseeing, authorizing (when applicable) and/or processing all licensing and permits for the following areas:
- Automobile sales
- Automobile service stations
- Body art establishments (please contact City Clerk)
- Bowling alleys (please contact City Clerk)
- Building Permits (Contractors)
- Garbage (Rubbish) Hauler
- Liquor sales
- Massage Therapists and Therapeutic Massage Businesses
- Pawnbrokers and precious metal dealers (please contact City Clerk)
- Peddlers and Solicitors
- New Kennel or Renewal Kennel
- Dog Licensing
- Chicken Licensing
- Tobacco License (Administered through Dakota County)
Applications and information regarding fees, processing time, whether city council approval is required etc. can be found under each of the respective license categories. Please see City Clerk for designated licenses: Pawnbroker, Precious Metals, Bowling, Body Art Establishments.
Permit applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
These are required forms that should be included in all applications. The criminal history authorization (background release) must be completed for Liquor, Massage, and Solicitor/Peddler licensing/permits. Permit applications should be sent to email@example.com.
- Worker’s Compensation Certificate
- State Tax I.D.
- Criminal History Authorization (liquor and pawnbroker)
- Background Check Authorization (solicitor/peddler)
Renewing Your License
- Renewals are accepted as early as Sept. 1 of each calendar year.
- Renewal application and payment must be made by mail or in person at City Hall before Dec. 15 unless it is a Liquor Renewal which must be received no later than the 2nd Monday of November.
- Checks must be payable to the City of Inver Grove Heights. For details on fees go to our Fee Schedule. Approved license certificates (renewals) are mailed out to license holders between the 3rd-4th week in December.
- Permit applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
First Time Applicant
- Please make an appointment with the City Clerk if you are a first time applicant so we can best assist you to provide you with all the detailed information necessary for a successful completion of your application.
- The City Clerk’s appointment schedule is from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays (1st, 2nd and 4th Monday of the month) and 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and the 3rd Monday of the month. In some cases, the appointment may take up to an one hour.
- Contact the City Clerk via email or by phone to schedule your appointment.
- If you stop into the City Hall without making an appointment, the City Clerk may not be available to discuss your application, to prevent this from happening, please make an appointment.